Search online databases to quickly find information on your topic.
You can search by individual database titles and subjects using the list below. Ones that have a login symbol (*) are licensed for CNC users only. You can access these at any CNC campus computer, or from home if you have a current CNC computer account. From home when you try to open a link to a database or article, you will get a login box, asking you to enter your CNC username and password. If you do not have a CNC computer account, or have not activated it yet, check the Technology guide on the IT Services page, or contact us.
You can also do a broader search using the Discovery search box on the library home page, which includes results from CNC licensed and open source research databases.
CBCA, Canadian News, Business,* (Proquest)
The Proquest package has these indexes; to search individually select the Databases box at the top of the screen.
- CBCA Canadian Business and Current Affairs: Canadian news, popular magazines, academic journals and reference works
- Canadian Major Dailies: full-text newspapers including access to The Globe and Mail (1977-), National Post, Montreal Gazette, Ottawa Citizen, Toronto Star, Regina Leader Post, Edmonton Journal, Vancouver Province (1989-), Vancouver Sun (1987-), and the Victoria Times Colonist
- Business Market Research Collection: company, industry, economic and geopolitical market research from three sources, including Hoover's Company Profiles, Research from Oxford Analytica, and Snapshots
Academic, Health, Business* (Ebsco)
The Ebsco package has these indexes, which you can search individually or as a group. Click on the heading above to see a list of all indexes - check boxes for the ones you want to search, and click on Continue. Or if you like, pick one of the links below which has "bundled" subjects so you can go directly to these subjects.
- Academic Search Complete: all academic topics, humanities, social science, science, general interest; includes the Associated Press video collection from 1930 to present, featured on first results screen. With Ebooks.
- Anthropology Plus: Royal Anthropological Institute’s Anthropological Index, Harvard University's Anthropological Literature databases, covering anthropology, archaeology, and related interdisciplinary research (1800's-present, journal articles, reports, commentaries). .
- Art bundle: Art Full Text, Academic Search Complete, Canadian Reference Centre, and Ebooks.
- Auto Repair Source: direct link to repair manuals for 30,000+ vehicles from 1945-present; includes drawings, wiring diagrams, labour time guide and estimator, service bulletins, recalls
- Business bundle: includes Business Source Premier, Regional Business News, Academic Search Complete, Canadian Reference Centre, and Ebooks.
- Canadian Reference Centre: Canadian/US popular magazines and newspapers, with Ebooks.
- Ebooks: collection of full text online books from Ebscohost with ongoing updates. Note that this only links to Ebsco ebooks. We have other collections from places like DesLibris and BCCampus. Go to the Discovery search box on the library home page to search all collections at one time.
- Education bundle - searches all below (or, click on "Choose Databases" to remove a database from your search)... ERIC (1966- approx. 400 linked full-text, alternate public access at http://www.eric.ed.gov/), Ebooks, MAS Ultra School Edition, Primary Search, Academic Search Complete and Canadian Reference Centre
- GreenFILE: environmental database. With Ebooks.
- Health bundle - searches all below - or, click on each individual database name... Alt HealthWatch alternative health - Biomedical Reference Collection: Comprehensive - CINAHL Complete nursing and allied health - Ebooks - Health Source: Consumer general health, nutrition - Health Source: Nursing/Academic - AHFS Consumer Medication Information drugs and pharmaceuticals -Medline Full-text (largest health index), Academic Search Complete and Canadian Reference Centre.
- Literary bundle - searches Canadian Literary Centre (journals, author biographies, reviews, essays, criticism, monographs) and Literary Reference Centre (journals, biographies, full-text poems, short stories, criticism), Academic Search Complete, Canadian Reference Centre, and Ebooks.
- Military and Government Collection(military, history, politics, sports, general interest). With Ebooks.
- Psychology bundle - searches PsycARTICLES (psychology, health, APA full text titles), PsychINFO (psychology, complete backfiles 1880s-), and Ebooks
- Sociology bundle - searches Social Science Abstracts, Academic Search Complete, Canadian Reference Centre and Ebooks
- Wilson Indexes: mainly index/abstracts with a small number of full text titles pulled from other Ebsco databases: Applied Science, Art Full Text, Biological and Agricultural, General Science, Humanities, Readers' Guide, Social Sciences Abstracts.
Explore careers, take a survey. Ask counselling/library for the login to this site.
CCINFOweb + MSDS*
Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety chemistry, health and safety databases; includes ChemIndex and MSDS Material Safety Data Sheets.
CPA Canada Standards and Guidance Collection*
CPA (Chartered Professional Accounts of Canada) Standards and Guidance Collection – Accounting and Assurance Handbooks – as well as Public Sector, Management's Discussion and Analysis, Risk Oversight and Governance, and Tax Suite Premium modules.
Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
General topics, scholarly, scientific, current content. Click on "Find Articles" to search by keyword or topic.
Health, medicine, sciences: citations from 1948-; large selection of full-text titles but current year may be embargoed, most available in full-text pay-per-view.
Online courses in Business, Marketing, IT, graphic design and life learning topics offered by industry experts, available to CNC users. Go to LinkedIn Learning – click “Sign in” – Click “sign in with your organizational account,” enter “cnc.bc.ca” and hit “Continue without LinkedIn” and "Do not connect my account" (unless you prefer to use your LinkedIn account information). If you are directed to a CNC Login page, enter your CNC login (username, password). You will be directed to the LinkedIn Learning homepage. Start exploring!
Health, medicine, 1965- Note: This is the public Medline site. CNC users can also access Medline through the Ebsco Health bundle above (which includes Medline Full-Text) and in Ovid.
Tips: Search Medline's PubMed and limit by journal collection if desired (e.g. for Dental, choose PubMed Tools - Topic specific queries - Journal collections - Dental). Search PubMed Central for full-text of peer-reviewed journals. Search related Canadian site PubMed Central Canada, and UK site BioMed Central (free registration). Check List of Serials and Abbreviations.
MTS Medical Training Solutions Online Training Library*
Continuing education courses and competency tests for CNC Medical Laboratory Technology employees and students. For login information, please contact the Medical Laboratory Technology Faculty Coordinator.
National Film Board: NFB Campus*
Educational films from the NFB Campus collection, for CNC users. Access on campus at any station for full viewing (e.g. We were children view length 1:23:06). Access from home by creating an account: at any CNC campus station: click sign in, enter your email and a password, click to confirm, and you will receive a confirmation notice in your email.
Health, bioscience, human kinetics. Includes Evidence Based Medical Reviews, Medline, LWW Lippincott Williams and Wilkins Total Access Collection (part of Journals@OVID).
Points to the Past
Searchable primary source materials: maps, photos, newspapers, manuscripts, portraits, sermons, poems, and more, for research, teaching and learning. Coverage from 1450-2008+ in 32 separate collections, including Associated Press, British Literary Manuscripts, Gale NewsVault, Indigenous Peoples of North America, and archives of individual publications such as The Economist, Financial Times, Punch, London News, Sunday Times and more. Available to BC residents with the support of the University of Victoria Library, University of British Columbia Library and Simon Fraser University Library, in collaboration with Gale, part of Cengage Learning. Click here to search by individual collection - http://pointstothepast.ca/database-list.php
Primal Pictures and Anatomy TV*
Comprehensive, accurate and detailed 3D graphic models of the human body and human anatomy.
Prince George Newspapers
Full-text of Prince George newspapers from 1909-present. Includes Fort George Tribune, Fort George Herald, Prince George Post, Prince George Herald, Prince George Star, Prince George Leader, Prince George Citizen (with a 12 month embargo)... and also College of New Caledonia Student Newspapers from 1971 onward.