Finding background information
The following titles and websites can be used to investigate background information on topics relating to technology.
Specialized Encyclopedias and Websites - with a Canadian focus
Websites providing very current information - including technology info. (not a Canadian perspective)
Finding books and media
Click on the "Classic Catalogue" on the CNC library webpage to find books, e-books, reports or media on a selected topic.
How to find Reference books in the library on a topic
From the library catalogue page
- Click on Advanced Search
- Type topic word in top search box, e.g. technolog$ [$ symbol finds word endings, e.g. technological]
- Also indicate that you are only interested in Catalogue Only material
Some useful Subject terms to search in the catalogue include:
- Computers and civilization
- Internet (Computer network)
- Internet - Social aspects
- Educational technology
- Genetic engineering
- Information technology - Social aspects
- Science - Social aspects
- Technology - Social aspects
- Technological innovations
- Science and industry
- Technology and civilization
- Human reproductive technology
Finding Journal or newspaper articles
Many online journals or journal article citations are available via these online journal indexes:
- Proquest indexes – Canadian Business & Current Affairs - fulltext
- Ebscohost indexes – Academic Search, Canadian Reference Centre etc. - fulltext
- You can also use "Advanced Search" on the Library Homepage to search all of the EBSCOhost databases
If you wish to find a list of CNC Library held paper format or online fulltext journals, from the library's Homepage, click on Databases
Statistics can be collected by a variety of sources, including agencies. Check the links under the library’s Statistics link to explore the data available there.
If you need any assistance with research, please approach the librarians at the Information Desk, or contact the Ask a Librarian link on the library’s web page.
Good luck! If you have comments or suggestions, email me at email@example.com