The Canadian Workplace

Working during your studies   

Depending on your study permit status, you may be allowed to work off-campus as an international student.     

Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) 

To work in Canada or access government programs and benefits, you need a 9-digit number called a Social Insurance Number (SIN). You can apply for a SIN through Service Canada.  

Labour laws 

Understanding Canadian labour laws is essential for international students entering the workforce. Learn about minimum wage regulations, working hours, overtime pay, and other key aspects of employment law to ensure you're informed and protected in the workplace. 

Workplace etiquette 

Adapting to Canadian workplace etiquette is crucial for professional success. Discover the norms and expectations regarding communication, dress code, punctuality, and interpersonal interactions to navigate the workplace with confidence and professionalism. 

Work / Life balance 

Maintaining a healthy work/life balance is important for overall well-being and productivity. Explore strategies for managing your time effectively, setting boundaries, and prioritizing self-care to ensure you thrive both in and out of the workplace. 

Post Graduate Work   

Students completing their program and seeking work post-graduation, it is advisable to apply as soon as you get a CNC Official Transcript (with diploma notation added), post-graduation work permit letter/completion letter. 

Required documents for the post-graduation work permit application include a scanned copy of the first page of your passport, any pages with visa stamps or entries, the last page of your passport, your current study permit, an educational transcript with diploma notation, and a headshot or photo.