Once You Arrive

Arriving in Canada and beginning your studies

Whether you’ve just stepped off the plane or you’re about to begin your studies, this information will make sure you’re set up for success.

If you haven't already...

Complete the before you arrive section before you arrive
Pay your fees or set up a payment plan Pay your fees or set up a payment plan

Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

To work in Canada or access government programs and benefits, you need a 9-digit number called a Social Insurance Number (SIN). You can apply for a SIN through Service Canada.

Apply for a SIN

Read the New Students Guide

This guide will help you through setting up your CNC account, registering for classes, and other tasks to prepare for your studies.

New Students Guide

Attend Orientation

Visit the Orientation page to get started and familiarize yourself with resources made for you. Take the online orientation course and attend start-of-semester events. Here you’ll also find webinars and help articles to prepare you for your studies.


Medical Insurance

All international students are required by law to have medical insurance while studying in BC. Your first three months of insurance are covered by MyCanadaPlan, but then you will need to enrol in a BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) for continued coverage.

More about Medical Insurance

Working in Canada

Depending on the status of your study permit, you may be allowed to work off-campus during your time as an international student. Your study permit will include information on this. For up-to-date information on how many hours a week you can work, please check the IRCC website.

Information for Current Students

Once you’re settled, check out our Current Students page for more information about: