Sexual Misconduct

Sexual misconduct is any unwanted action carried out through sexual means or by targeting sexuality. Sexual misconduct can affect and involve people of all genders and sexual identities and can occur in any type of relationship (e.g., romantic relationships, family relationships, friendships, casual acquaintances or strangers).

The College of New Caledonia is committed to creating and maintaining a healthy campus community characterized by mutual respect and safety. We understand that survivors of sexual violence or misconduct deserve support and knowledge of all of the options available to them, including those that fall under CNC’s Sexual Misconduct Policy.

Click here to read CNC’s Sexual Misconduct Policy and Procedures.

If you are in need of assistance, please go to the Supports page for information about making a disclosure, filing a complaint with the College, or making a report to the RCMP, as well as a list of on-campus contacts and local community resources.

We’re all in this together- let’s be kind to each other.

What to Do

Depending on the incident(s), a student who has experienced sexual misconduct is encouraged to consider taking some or all of the following steps immediately after the incident:

  • Go to a safe place on campus, or, if off campus, a shelter or a trusted friend’s house and seek out help (call supports, call 911 if you are unsafe or have been sexually assaulted);
  • At the Prince George campus, call 911 and contact CNC Security if you are unsafe or have been sexually assaulted (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) at: (250) 561-5827; or local 200; or by using one of the red phones to connect directly; or by going to security kiosk Room 1-702;
  • At the CNC Regional Campuses (Lakes District, Mackenzie, Quesnel, Vanderhoof, and Fort St. James) that do not have on-campus security services, call 911 if you are unsafe or have been sexually assaulted (at the Mackenzie office you may also use one of the red phones on the second floor to connect directly to RCMP).
  • If you have been sexually assaulted or are injured, get medical attention as soon as possible; if possible, it is recommended to obtain medical treatment from a hospital. You may wish to be accompanied by a trusted friend or family member.
  • Contact a community agency or on-campus resources for additional, confidential support.

If sexual misconduct has been witnessed or experienced, or there is reason to believe sexual misconduct has occurred, there are a few options. Individuals may make a:

  • Disclosure
  • Complaint
  • Report

Make a Disclosure

A disclosure involves telling another person about the sexual misconduct incident that happened. You can connect with support services at CNC for assistance whether or not you have decided to make a formal complaint.

A disclosure may be made to a friend, a family member, or an employee of the College or support person on campus (e.g. Wellness Coach, Counsellor, Nurse Practitioner, Doctor, Manager, Regional Principal, Residence Advisor, Security, or Students’ Union representative).

A disclosure will not result in further action unless it is felt that there is an imminent risk of harm to a person(s) or there is a legal requirement for the College to take further action. In these cases there are limits to confidentiality.

File a Complaint

If a person would like to take further action about a sexual misconduct incident that was experienced, then they can file a formal complaint with the College.

A complaint can be made by a student who has experienced sexual misconduct and must contain sufficient detail to allow the College to assess the complaint and conduct an investigation (such as dates, times, the nature of the incident(s) that occurred, and names of any witnesses). A complaint will result in the College initiating an investigation.

To file a formal complaint, you can connect with the Director of Student Services who is located in the Student Services office (250-561-5818).

File a Report

Individuals also may choose to make a report. This involves the person reporting their experience to the RCMP to address it through the criminal justice system.

If a person chooses this option, the College will help connect the person with the RCMP. The CNC Counsellor or Wellness Coach can also provide referrals to other resources in the community who offer support to survivors throughout the court process, such as court support services, victim services, or referrals for legal help or assistance in making a Third Party Report (anonymous report) to the RCMP.