Are you looking for a rewarding career in the medical field with high opportunity? Enroll in the CNC Medical Radiography Technology (MRAD) program and become a Medical Radiation Technologist in only 2 years.
Medical radiography includes imaging technologies such as x-ray, computed tomography, mammography, fluoroscopy, and interventional procedures.
Medical radiography is suited for people with a strong sense of responsibility and interest in other people's well-being. People who thrive in medical radiography are able to work well with both technology and people, including patients and other medical professionals, in sensitive, stressful situations.
There will be growing demand in BC for people trained in Medical Radiography Technology due to technological advances and a growing, aging population. As a Medical Radiation Technologist, you will be suited to work in the following areas:
- Hospitals (Medical Imaging department, patient bedsides, operating room or emergency department)
- Private imaging clinics
- Equipment vendor sales & applications
- Forensic labs
What you will learn
The Medical Radiography Technology program is a full, 2-year program that alternates between classroom/lab terms where you will learn theory and clinical field placements where you gain experience and applied skills.
Earning your diploma in medical radiography technology is a base for other certifications, such as advanced radiography certifications and specialized BSc and health administration degrees. These additional qualifications are a key component of health care service.
Medical Radiography Technology Diploma Courses
CNC, utilizing a provincial curriculum, has partnered with Northern Health to provide a northern Medical Radiography program. The program prepares students to work in the following areas: - in the hospital medical imaging department; - at the patient's bedside; - in the operating room or Emergency department, and - in private imaging clinics. Earning a diploma in medical radiography technology is a base for other certifications, such as advanced radiography certifications and specialized BSc and health administration degrees. These additional qualifications are a key component of health care service.
||Clinical Education II
Locations & Dates
CNC programs have varying lengths and start dates to meet your needs, and are offered across multiple campuses where possible. Don’t see the campus you’re looking for? Check back with us soon as this page is updated throughout the school year.
||2 consecutive years - alternating terms of theory/labs with clinical placements in the field
- High school graduation or equivalent
- The following courses, completed with an average GPA of 3.0 (“B”) with no grade lower than a “C+”:
- Anatomy and Physiology 12, or BIO 050, or equivalent
- English Studies 12, English First Peoples 12, ENGL 050, ENGL 051, or equivalent
- Foundations of Math 12, or equivalent
- Physics 12, PHYS 050, or equivalent
English Language Proficiency Requirements
Candidates whose first language is not English must meet the English requirements and provide proof of English language proficiency through one of the following:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) score of 88 with no section below 20, within the last two years; OR
- International English Language Testing System- Academic (IELTS Academic) score of 6.5 overall with no band below 6.0, taken within the last two years; OR
- Successful completion of six credits of post-secondary English studies at a recognized college or university in an English-speaking county.
Program Specific Requirements
Completed career investigation and participation in an MRAD program information session.
Completed acceptance package must be submitted by the date indicated in the package. Incomplete certifications and documentation will prevent students from entering clinical practice placements. Practicum is required for graduation. All certifications must remain valid throughout the program.
- Successful completion of MRAD 100: Medical Radiography Terminology course (approximately 10 hours of self-directed learning), which has a radiography language focus
- Proof of immunization status as outlined by the BC Centre for Disease Control and as outlined in the Practice Education Guidelines BC Immunization. See Practice Education Guidelines.
- Personal data sheet and release of information form
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Level C, or Basic Life Support (BLS). CPR online courses must include face-to-face practice components.
- FIT tested for a N95 respirator.
- Criminal Record Check (RCMP criminal record checks are not accepted)
Students must complete a provincial Schedule B criminal record search because there is a practicum component involving work with vulnerable people. A search which identifies
Note 1: MRAD information sessions are offered throughout the year for interested applicants. Please refer to the MRAD Application Package for more information regarding these sessions.
Note 2: Self-identified Canadian Aboriginal applicants who meet the admission requirements by the priority deadline will be given priority for two seats.
March 31 is the deadline to submit applications and all qualifying documentation for the September intake of the Medical Radiography Technology Diploma program. The program does accept applications after March 31 if seats are available.
Need help meeting these requirements? Check out our Academic Upgrading options.
If there is room in the program, you will be accepted once you have met all the admission requirements. This is called “first qualified, first accepted.” If you qualify after the program is full, you will be put on a wait list.
Self-identified Canadian Aboriginal applicants meeting the admission requirements will be given priority for 20% of seats in the program until the institutionally recognized date.
Invest in your future
The estimated cost for this program is $21,205. Check the fee schedule for more details.
These costs are an estimate and do not include books. Costs may change without notice. Student fees vary by campus. Books for this program can be purchased from the bookstore.
Paying for college
We're here to help. You can apply for scholarships and bursaries through CNC. We can also help you find loans and other funding. Visit Financial aid to find out how.
Salaries and employment
Looking for a job? Check the student employment opportunities.