Safety & Wellness

Medical Insurance Coverage

All international students are required by law to have medical insurance while studying in British Columbia. Medical services and visits to clinics and hospitals are very expensive. Without medical coverage you would need to pay for these expenses yourself.

LOGO mycanadaplan_CMYK

Your first three months are covered by MyCanadaPlan by Gallivan Health and Wellness. This plan provides emergency medical coverage for the first 3 months of study at CNC. This insurance is mandatory and automatic provided students have consented.

After three months, students are required to enroll in the Government of BC Medical Insurance Plan (MSP).  Students are responsible for enrolling themselves and family members in the MSP Plan. 

International Student Health Fee Q & A

Health Fee for International Students

  • What is the BC Health-Care Coverage Fee?

  • Who does the health fee apply to?

  • When do international students have to apply for the health fee?

  • How do international students apply for the health fee?

  • Is enrolment in the MSP mandatory?

  • What amount is payable?

  • If I already have provincial health coverage, do I have to re-enrol?

  • How will the health fee be collected?

  • Is there any financial assistance for the health fee?

  • If an international student fails to pay the fee, will they be able to access health-care services?

  • What date will the health fee start for international students newly arriving in B.C.?

  • If an international student leaves B.C. permanently, when will the health fee end?

  • If an international student leaves B.C. temporarily, do they need to continue paying the health fee?

  • If a post-secondary international student has a dependent who is not a student (e.g., spouse), does the adult dependent also pay a health fee?

  • Will the new health fee for international students result in changes to the type of health-care coverage provided – as compared to the current coverage provided under B.C.’s MSP?

  • What role do educational institutions have in the implementation of the new health fee for international students?


Extended Health and Dental

If you are a full-time student (with the exception of ESL) who started in the September semester you have an Extended Health and Dental plan through the Student Union. For more information about your plan, visit the Student Union office or website.

Campus Safety

Your safety on and off campus is important to us. For detailed safety information, please visit Security and First Aid.

Be Aware of Scams that Target International Students

Please be aware of scams targeting international students and their families. Quick tips for staying safe:

  • Government agencies will never force you to stay on the phone or prohibit you from contacting friends/family or legal advice.
  • Only trust numbers you know.
  • Official government agencies will never use text or email to contact you.
  • You or your family will never be threatened by an official government agency.
  • Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada will never contact you to collect fees or fines and say it is to avoid deportation or consequences.
  • You will never be asked to make large cash withdrawals, purchase gift cards, Bitcoin or make a money transfer by an official agency.
  • Never give out any personal information.

If you think you have been a target of a scam, please reach out to a member of the CNC staff or the RCMP.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre

Toll Free: 1-888-495-8501

College of New Caledonia International Education

Phone: 250-561-5857


Road Safety Information

Driver and pedestrian laws are different in Canada then other countries, as well as differ between Canadian provinces. Students should familiarise themselves with laws in British Columbia and how to stay safe both behind the wheel and as a pedestrian. Learn more about road safety in British Columbia here.

CNC cares about you and your safety. View CNC’s road safety videos:

Distracted Driving: When you are behind the wheel take a break from your phone.

Pedestrian Safety: Always use sidewalks and crosswalks. Look both ways before you cross the street.

Speeding: Slow down. It’s not worth the risk.


The police in Canada keep people safe and enforce the law. They are there to help you and others. If you need to call the police in an emergency, dial 911. If your matter is not urgent you can contact the Prince George police department at 250-561-3300 or visit the station at 455 Victoria Street.