Forge the basics for a skilled career with this Welding Foundation Program. As a welder, you will operate welding equipment to weld ferrous and non-ferrous metals. If this interests you, and you are seeking a variety in your day-to-day activities, you should consider this rewarding career path.
As a graduate of the Welding Foundation program, you’ll be qualified for a variety of jobs in the construction and metal working industries. You’ll also be prepared to successfully complete employers’ skill assessments. Possible job titles include:
- Production welder
- Maintenance welder
- General Welder
- Flash Welder
- Torch Blazer
- Self Employed Welder
- Pressure Welder
As a graduate of the Welding Foundation program, you'll be qualified for a variety of jobs in the construction and metal working industries. You'll also be prepared to successfully complete employers' skill assessments. Possible job titles include . Production welder . Maintenance welder . And more
Welder Foundation: Program Outline
Locations & Dates
CNC programs have varying lengths and start dates to meet your needs, and are offered across multiple campuses where possible. Don’t see the campus you’re looking for? Check back with us soon as this page is updated throughout the school year.
- English 10; or English 030; or Communications 11 or equivalent
- Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 10 with a "C" or higher; or Foundations of Math and Pre-Cal 10; or Trades Math 041; or equivalent
Students who do not meet the above requirements may wish to consult with a CNC counsellor/advisor to determine their eligibility on the basis of mature student status.
Need help meeting these requirements? Check out our Academic Upgrading options.
High school students may be eligible to take this program. See your school counsellor for details.
A program for which seats are filled based on approved selection criteria. Such criteria may include, but are not limited to, assessment, portfolio submissions, interviews and grade point average. Meeting the minimum requirements for admission does not guarantee acceptance to the program.
Students are encouraged to submit a resumé and handwritten statement indicating reasons for wishing to enter the program as well as complete a test of mechanical reasoning skills, and the College English/Math Achievement Test (EMAT). These items are included in the selection criteria listed below and will be awarded points.
If the program is over-subscribed, students will be selected based on the selection criteria listed below:
- The letter grade for English 10, English 030 or Communications 11 or equivalent will contribute its actual points to the selection process: e.g., “A” = 4.0, “B+” = 3.33, etc.
- The letter grade for your selected math course will contribute its actual grade point to the selection process: e.g., “A” = 4.0, “B+” = 3.33, etc.
- The mechanical reasoning test will be awarded a maximum of 5 points.
- A passing grade on the English portion of the Student Readiness Assessment will be awarded a maximum of 1 point.
- A passing grade on the Math portion of the Student Readiness Assessment will be awarded a maximum of 1 point.
- Credit in one or more trades-related courses at the Grade 12 level with a grade of “B” or higher, or successful completion of any foundation-level trades training program or documented experience of one year in a trade will be awarded 3 points.
- Credit in any of the following: English 11 or equivalent, Principles of Math 11 or equivalent, or Trades Math 042 with a “C” grade or higher will be awarded 3 points.
- Students are encouraged to submit a resumé and personal handwritten statement indicating their reasons for wishing to enter this program. The resumé and personal statement will be awarded a maximum of 3 points.
Maximum points available = 24
Invest in your future
The estimated cost for this program is $4,084.
- Tuition: $2,661
- Student fees: $879
- Medical/Dental Fee (Fall semester only): $260
- Tool Box Purchase: $410.63 + tax
These costs are an estimate and do not include books. Costs may change without notice. Student fees vary by campus. Check the fee schedule for more details.
Books and Toolbox for this program can be purchased from the bookstore.