Develop your skills and express your creativity
If you want to work as a creative professional in a career you love, then CNC's Web & Graphic Design Program is for you.
What you will learn
Learn visual and online communication strategies, digital art and interactive media, web design, typography, project management and creative problem solving while you prepare promotional materials to promote yourself and other businesses.
Our one and two-year programs offer a creative learning environment that spans multiple disciplines yet still gives you the opportunity to specialize in a chosen field. Use programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Premiere Pro along with other Adobe Creative Cloud Software.
Strategically position yourself for careers in communication design, web, digital media production, illustration and many other creative fields, including:
- Front-end web developer (user experience, user interface)
- Motion graphic designer
- Digital artist
- Graphic novel artist
- Character designer
- Game designer
- Interactive digital media designer
- Industrial or product designer (3D product design: jewelry, toys etc.)
- Advertising specialist (visual identity, branding, logo, interface, layout)
- Print designer (books, product packaging, catalogs, magazines, advertisements, promotional and informational materials, educational materials, corporate print materials)
- 3D or 2D animator
- 3D modeller
Web & Graphic Design graduates could end up working either "in house" for large or medium-sized organizations or for agencies that get hired by other organizations. Many designers also choose to be self-employed as freelancers, either full-time or in addition to other work.
Potential workplaces include:
- Web design and development studio
- Graphic design agency
- Marketing and advertising agency
- Media or publishing company (including print, online, or television)
- In-house marketing and communications department
- Film and video production company
- Sign and graphic company
- Copy and print centre
Places some of our previous graduates have/are working at:
- ABC Communications Ltd.
- AllMobile Signs and Graphics
- Angler’s Atlas
- CKPG TV
- College of New Caledonia
- Concept Design Ltd.
- CTV - Vancouver
- Indigo Ink Graphic Design
- Info Pages Directory
- Integris Credit Union
- IRL Signs
- Livework Communications
- PG Web Designs
- The Prince George Citizen
- The Prince George Free Press
- SpeeDee Your Office Experts Ltd.
- Splash Media Group Inc.
- Trim-Line Sign Crafters
- Up the Creek Garment Co.
- Moko Productions
- Northern Health
- On-reel Video Production (currently VideoNexus)
- Opinion 250 News Inc.
- The Quesnel Cariboo Observer
Educational institutions past students have attended after the program:
- The Art Institute of Vancouver
- Athabasca University
- British Columbia Institute of Technology
- Capilano University
- Emily Carr University of Art + Design
- Mount Royal College
- Thompson Rivers University
- VanArts - Vancouver Institute of Media Arts
- Vancouver Film School
- Vancouver Island University
- University of the Fraser Valley
Web and Graphic Design Diploma Courses
Description coming soon
Courses labelled WEGD must be completed no more than 5 years prior to the date of graduation in order to count toward the Web and Graphic Design Citation, Certificate or Diploma. All other courses must be completed in no more than 10 years. This policy applies to CNC courses and to all courses transferred from other post-secondary institutions for credit at CNC. Courses more than 10 years old may be considered for unassigned credit. Students should contact the Dean to discuss this option. (Please note that professional certification or accreditation bodies and receiving institutions may have different criteria). For the complete policy, see Ten Year Timeline for Program Completion Policy #E-1.37 available on the CNC Policy web page.
Students must earn a “C” grade or higher in classes before they can be applied towards any WEGD credential. Students must earn a minimum “C” grade in all non-elective courses to count towards any WEGD credential.
The diploma incorporates 12 credits of electives. Students wishing to focus on both web and design can take both second year streams in lieu of the 12 credits of electives. Please note that taking both web and design streams will require a minimum of five semesters.
Design Stream: Required Courses
Web Stream Required Courses
12 Credits UT/Business/WEGD
Recommended electives are:
ABST 111 Métis Studies: Art and Material Culture
ANTH 210 Anthropological Perspectives on “Pop”ular Culture
CSC 105 Introduction to Computers and Programming
ENGL 106 Film Studies
FINE 101 Art History I
FINE 103 Drawing I
FINE 109 Colour Theory
FINE 150 Fundamentals of Digital
Photography—Exploring the Digital Photography Workflow
MKT 152 Principles of Marketing
WEGD courses must be taken no more than 5 years prior to date of graduation. All other courses must be completed no more than 10 years prior to graduation.
“C” grade or higher in each class required to count towards WEGD credential.
May take both 2nd year streams in lieu of 12 credits of electives.
Locations & Dates
CNC programs have varying lengths and start dates to meet your needs, and are offered across multiple campuses where possible. Don’t see the campus you’re looking for? Check back with us soon as this page is updated throughout the school year.
One of the following:
- Successful completion of Grade 12 with English 12 or English 12: First Peoples.
- Successful completion of ABE/Academic Upgrading Advanced Certificate (with English 050 or equivalent).
- Mature student status (please consult a CNC advisor) plus completion of an English assessment administered by the college and upgrading in English if required.
Note: Basic computer skills are required. You will be required to use a mouse and keyboard or alternative means to interact with the operating system and software programs.
Need help meeting these requirements? Check out our Academic Upgrading options.
Invest in your future
The estimated cost for this program is $2,882.
The estimated cost for this program is $5,077.
The estimated cost for this program is $10,915.
Students are required to bring their own laptop and software. The Adobe Cloud is approx. $270/year.
These costs are an estimate. Student fees vary by campus.
Supplies for this program can be purchased from the bookstore.
The estimated cost for this program is $26,790.
This cost is an estimate and subject to change. This does not include registration fees, text books, medical insurance or living expenses.