Please note: Due to COVID-19 the Adventure Seekers program has been postponed until further notice. To have your contact information added to an interest list please email email@example.com.
This program is designed for young adults aged 18–30 who have a severe to moderate developmental disability, have completed their secondary education and have a strong interest in learning. It is expected that they will require a support worker (the provision of the support worker is the participant’s responsibility).
Through individual and group learning, the goal of Adventure Seekers is to:
- Increase and maintain functional literacy of each student.
- Support individual growth.
- Increase College and community participation.
Download the Adventure Seekers brochure.
Adventure Seekers is a part-time (eight hours per week). Students meet as a group two days a week for four hours with an instructor.
Through student consultation, course content reflects topics of relevance and interests of the students and can include:
- Current events.
- Arts; music, film, literature.
- Computer technology; email, Internet safety, PowerPoint.
- Science and mathematics.
- College and/or community activities
Courses and delivery will be modified to suit individual capabilities and interests. Functional literacy is integrated into the program with a focus on:
- Communication skills.
- Social skills.
- Numeracy skills.
- Safety skills.
(For new applicants please see our detailed New Applicants Procedure.)
- Submit a completed Adventure Seekers Application for Acceptance form and drop off at the Community & Continuing Education department (room 1-721). Deadline to apply for new and second year applicants for the Fall program is May 29, 2020.
- Attend an intake interview to determine whether the program is suitable.
- If accepted an official acceptance letter will be mailed out, which must be brought to the Office of the Registrar (room 1-), to register and pay your fees.
- Deadline to Register and pay fees is June 19, 2020, for new and second year applicants.
Families seeking to re-enrol their student for the second year of Adventure Seekers are guaranteed a seat in the class.
Families will be placed on a waiting list if they wish to re-enrol in the Adventure Seekers program after two years, and/or if applicant is 30+ years old. This allows priority seats for new families. Students are considered Adventure Seekers Alumni after they have completed two years in the program or if they are over the age of 30. Should seats remain in the program after the applicant registration deadline, Alumni will be given an opportunity to apply for one additional year.
Please see Alumni Applicants Procedures.