Quesnel Trades Expansion
Expansion to Quesnel Trades Wing set to complete in June 2019
The extensive expansion to the trades wing of the Quesnel Campus is on schedule. Construction substantial performance is expected in early May, with CNC moving into the space throughout the summer. The $5 million project will include a new high-pressure steam boiler, an expanded computer simulation lab, a new welding lab, a new atrium and additional yard space.
The renovations will ensure power-engineering students at the College of New Caledonia will study in state-of-the-art equipment and improved classroom and lab space. The power-engineering certification program at the Quesnel campus graduates 16 students every year, who go on to work in areas such as power plants in sawmills, pulp mills and hospitals.
“We are looking forward to the completion of this updated and enlarged facility for students on our Quesnel campus,” said Sonya Spiers, Operations Manager, CNC Quesnel. “This expansion will provide students with the skills they need for careers in the region and throughout the North.”
Installation of a larger pressure boiler and associated equipment is needed to meet Class 4 power engineering training required by the Power Engineering, Boilers, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation under the Safety Standards Act. Over 1,330 job openings for power engineers are expected by 2027.
“This facility expansion will increase the Quesnel campus’s position as a top training destination,” said Frank Rossi, Dean, School of Trades and Technologies. “We are very pleased that the project is running smoothly and look forward to celebrating its opening in 2019.”
- April 2017: Announcement of a new high-pressure steam boiler and facility expansion, at a cost of $3.8 million.
- May 2018: Confirmation of additional $1.3 million funding from the Province of British Columbia for the project
- December 2018: Project update: all construction related efforts are performing well, and on time.
- May 2019: Construction substantial performance completion expected
- Summer 2019: CNC projected to move into the facility, expansion complete
Interested in the upcoming Power Engineering program in Quesnel? Email us at email@example.com to be added to our updates email and we’ll keep you posted on program developments.