Books, media in catalogue
* citation guides
* consumer sites
* country info
* government, legal
* cool conversion tools
Web subject sites
New E-book and E-video collections
This information sheet describes new e-books (electronic books) and e-videos (streaming videos) that we have purchased for CNC use. Note that the library has other free e-books (PDFs of publicly posted books and reports) and free e-videos (from CBC, Annenberg Media, etc.) listed in the Library Catalogue. You will also find links to large free e-book collections, such as the Alex Catalogue, Google Books, Internet Archive and Project Gutenberg, in our Web Subject Sites-English Literature section.
What are e-books?
E-books are full-text electronic versions of published books that you can read, search and save, print, or download with some restrictions. The College library purchases a wide variety of books in e-book format, from e-book distributors like Ebsco and ebrary.
The College Library provides licensed access to over 4,500 e-books from a company called Ebsco. They are from two main subject collections, formerly hosted by netlibrary, but other subjects are being added all the time so it's always worth searching for your topic.
- The Business Collection contains over 850 books, on topics of interest in all business subject areas: accounting, e-commerce, entrepreneurship, economics and global economy, finance and banking. The collection includes works from leading business and economic scholars like John Kenneth Galbraith and Peter Drucker, and key business publishers such as Harvard Business School Press and MIT Press.
- The Public Collection includes 3,399 "classics" - works that are no longer under copyright, from Aeschylus to Shakespeare and Zola.
- New Titles, in health and other subjects, are being added on an ongoing basis.
- At CNC stations only, you can access these e-books by going to the Library Catalogue, searching for titles and clicking on the URL link in the result list, - or on the Electronic access: link in the catalogue record
- Search by Author, Title, Keywords, etc.
- To get a list of all books, enter the word: netlibrary
- From home, if you have a currrent CNC computer account, you can access these e-books by going to the Ebsco eBook collection, as follows:
- go to database screen at http://tinyurl.com/797fems
- enter your CNC username and password
- scroll down and click on box for eBook Collection; then scroll up and unclick the first two boxes
- click Continue
- proceed to search by Author, Title, Keywords, etc
The College Library provides licensed access to over 800 e-books from ebrary’s Canadian Electronic Library collection. Current titles from Canadian publishers, as well as older titles of interest to our region, are featured in this collection and new titles are being added on an ongoing basis.
The licenses are mainly for a single user access. If someone else is viewing a book, you will get a notice asking you to check later. Features include saving a book to your own bookshelf for future reading (this does not prevent others from viewing the book if you are not currently viewing it), highlighting text, adding notes to text, printing (max. 10% of book or 1 chapter), and downloading (requires Adobe Digital Editions; this will restrict the book to others for 7 days, so please use sparingly).
- At CNC stations, you can access these e-books by going to the Library Catalogue, searching for titles and clicking on the URL link in the result list, - or on the Electronic access: link in the catalogue record
- To get a list of all books, in the catalogue enter the words: canadian electronic library
- In the book screen, you can search for other authors, titles, keywords in the collection
- Optional: enter your CNC computer account and password (this sets up your personal bookshelf)
- From home, if you have a currrent CNC computer account, you can access these e-books in the same way as above
- Permanent links: Use the Electronic access: address in the Catalogue record (it begins https://) to imbed a link to the book in student recommended reading lists or online courses
- For a more details see Guide to CNC Library E-books from ebrary
National Film Board CAMPUS video collection
The College Library provides licensed access to over 2,500 National Film Board films in the NFB Campus collection. This is a streaming video service, allowing users to access video content online. The collection includes public performance rights for over 1,970 NFB films that are freely available online, and online streaming rights for a selection of over 530 films aavailable exclusively for CNC users. Titles are constantly being added, so it's worth a look.
- At CNC stations, go to http://www.nfb.ca/explore-all-films/
- Choose a film by A-Z title, or click on Subject tab to search by subject
- Films that are marked CAMPUS are available to CNC users at any CNC campus station, or from home if you create an account for yourself
- For home access or to keep a playlist of films you use all the time:
- create an account - go to http://www.nfb.ca/explore-all-films
- click on top right-hand side of screen ("account" menu)
- enter your name, username, email and password (must contain capital letter and number)
- on a second screen, scroll down (ignore $24.95 message), under "Find your school" highlight: "College of New Caledonia" and proceed
In future, links will be provided to individual titles in the Library catalogue
Updates as new e-books and e-videos are added
When we add new e-books or e-videos, they will be featured in our ongoing "New Books by email" service which you can subscribe to. Click here for more information about this service.